|Mara Abbott won the Queen Stage of Giro Rosa after a strong solo attack. Race leader Vos lost more than 5 minutes.|
Photo: Giro Rosa Press Office
Stage 5 was the Queen Stage of this year's Giro Rosa and made a huge upset in general classification as Marianne Vos lost more than five minutes. Vos had been dominating the race until in the first four stages but now she only 7th overall, 3:15 min after the new leader Mara Abbott.
Abbot from Boulder, Colorado won the race in 2010 and today she took an amazing stage win on the American Independence Day. “I am more than happy. I didn’t have any tactics, I just attacked when the road started to get steeper”, Abbott said after the stage.
Marianne Vos knew it wouldn’t be easy for her today but she didn’t expect to lose the jersey. “I wanted to keep the jersey but the race is not over yet”, she explains.
New rider in the White Jersey is Francesca Cauz. The young Italian finished second on stage and now hopes to keep the jersey all the way. “I knew I was feeling good today and I have to thank my team, my sport directors and the sponsors”.
Second in the overall classification is Tatiana Guderzo who finished fourth on the stage. She’s now aiming at the time trial on the final day: “Today I wasted too much energy but I know the time trial suits me. I will take it day by day and tomorrow is already another hard day”.
Tomorrow Giro Rosa take place in the Verbano Cusio Ossola area, Elisa Longo Borghini's homeland. The Italian rider crashed at the national championship and had to forfeit for the Giro.We think her friends and teammates will prepare something special for her, like the Americans did today.
Stage 5 results:
1. Abbott Mara (Nazionale Usa)
2. Cauz Francesca (Top Girls Fassa Bortolo) a 1'44"
3. Luperini Fabiana (Faren Kuota) a 1'49"
4. Guderzo Tatiana (MCipollini Ale Galassia) a 1'51"
5. Gillow Shara (Orica Ais) a 2'38"
6. Hausler Claudia (Tibco To The Top) 2'49"
7. Vysotska Yevgenia (Michela Fanini Rox) a 3'02"
8. Alena Amialiusik (BePink) a 3'45"
9. Moolman Ashleigh (Lotto Belisol Ladies) 3'51"
10. Stevens Evelyn (Specialized Lululemon) a 3'51"
1. Abbott Mara (Usa)
2. Guderzo Tatiana (MCipollini Ale Galassia) a 1'27"
3. Luperini Fabiana (Faren Kuota) a 1'34"
4. Hausler Claudia (Tibco To The Top) a 2'27"
5. Cauz Francesca (Top Girls Fassa Bortolo) a 2'30"
The 5 Jerseys:
Leader: Abbott Mara (Usa)
Points: Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team)
KOM: Cromwell Tiffany (Orica Ais)
Youth: Cauz Francesca (Top Girls Fassa Bortolo)